Freeze Proof Rigidizer Solution is a ''winter proof'' version of the popular colloidal silica compound for treating surfaces of ceramic fiber refractory products (Inswool, forge insulation blanket). Typical Standard Rigidizer solutions are destroyed by the cold, irreversibly crystallizing in their container at -2°C becoming useless. Many blacksmiths have been disappointed reaching for their bottle of Rigidizer after it has been shipped or stored in the garage in colder weather. Our Freeze Proof Rigidizer can uniquely withstand temperatures of -40°C (or -40°F).
**Once APPLIED, to fully activate the crystalization phase - Expose the rigidized wool to a flame for a few minutes**
- It provides a degree of surface stiffness, resistance to erosion, and protection from compression during coating with castables (if performed).
Freeze Proof is colored with disappearing ink to make an even application visually easier, becoming translucent once your forge is fired.
- While Rigidizer can't fully withstand metal welding heat, it helps give wool integrity resisting compression which would permanently diminish performance.
- The application of performance/protective coatings to your forge liner is simply easier after it is rigidized. (It makes it less like trying to paint cotton balls).
- Commonly used prior to coatings like ITC 100 HT or Kast-O-Lite 30 which aid increasing the efficiency and longevity of your forge.
ITC is rated to 5000°F, and by reflecting the heat from the surface of the wool, brings a typical 40% increase of forge efficiency, burning less fuel, & shortening heat up time.
ITC also preserves the properties of the Rigidizer and the thermal wool by mitigating the heat transferred from the firebox.
- Surface coating for ceramic fiber blanket and modules exposed to high-velocity gases.
- Surface treatment for vacuum-formed fiber shapes to increase surface hardness.
- Increases surface hardness and resistance to erosion.
- Easily applied by brushing or spraying, a little goes a long way.
Size Options Available:
- 250 ml Spray Bottle
- 500 ml Spray Bottle
Click here for Rigidizer SDS.