Freeze Proof Rigidizer Solution. Typical Rigidizer solutions are destroyed by the cold. They irreversibly crystallize at -2°C and are useless. Many blacksmiths have been disappointed reaching for their bottle of Rigidizer after it has been shipped or kept in the garage in colder weather.
Our Freeze Proof Rigidizer can uniquely withstand temperatures of -40°C (or -40°F). It is also colored with disappearing ink to make an even application visually easier, becoming translucent once your forge is fired.
- Kaowool Rigidizer is a popular colloidal silica compound for treating surfaces of ceramic fiber refractory products (Inswool, forge insulation blanket). It provides a degree of surface stiffness, resistance to erosion, and protection from compression during coating with castables (if performed).
Freeze Proof is colored with disappearing ink to make an even application visually easier, becoming translucent once your forge is fired.
TIP: Use in conjunction with ITC 100 HT.
- While Rigidizer can't fully withstand metal welding heat, it helps give wool integrity resisting compression which would permanently diminish performance.
- It is very popular when applying coatings like ITC 100HT, and ITC 296A.
- Application of the famous ITC 100 ceramic reflective paint coating to Kaowool (or similar) is simply easier after it is rigidized. (It makes it less like trying to paint cotton balls).
- ITC itself is rated to 5000 °F, and by reflecting the heat from the surface of the wool, typical 40% increase of forge efficiency, burning less fuel, & shortening heat up time.
- ITC further preserves the properties of the Rigidizer and the thermal wool by mitigating the heat transferred from the firebox.
- Surface coating for ceramic fiber blanket and modules exposed to high-velocity gases.
- Surface treatment for vacuum-formed fiber shapes to increase surface hardness.
- Increases surface hardness and resistance to erosion.
- Easily applied by brushing or spraying, a little goes a long way.
Size Options Available:
- 250 ml Spray Bottle
- 500 ml Spray Bottle
Click here for Rigidizer SDS.