- last price $22.95
Equicast is a unique casting material designed with specific properties for application on the horse's hoof. It's unlike orthopedic casting in that Equicast has a much higher resin content, which accommodates for wear resistance. Equicast also has a special weave pattern which allows for the malleability of the casting material to the hoof.
Use to apply the Equicast therapeutic shoes/clog, or to the hoof wall for the treatment of hoof problems. Equicast should be applied by a hoof care professional.
1) Trim and clean the hoof walls and soles. Apply any therapeutic shoes if necessary.
2) Put on gloves.
3) Apply glue/adhesive to the outer hoof wall. You can also apply a layer of dental impression material over the heel bulbs/back part of the hoof only. This protects them from abrasions and chaffing from the dried casting material.
4) Open the tape package and add in room temp/cold water to the casting tape roll. Soak for 5 sec.
5) Apply the casting tape around the hoof wall, and under the outer rim of the foot or shoe if applicable. Always insure to leave sole relief and always apply below the cornet/hairline.
6) Once the casting tape is on and the horse is bearing weight/foot is loaded, apply plastic stretch wrap to keep it in place while it's setting.
7) Let set for 5 minutes while keeping your horse weight bearing on the foot. After 5 minutes you can remove the plastic wrap and rasp/trim any unsightly edges.
*** If the horse is showing any discomfort check for excessive sole pressure ***
Made in the USA.